This post is featured. Scroll down for more recent posts!Continue reading
Hello, sp00ptropicans! October is here, Halloween is just around the corner, and that means it’s time for the PHB’s Annual Sp00py Halloween Costume Contest!
This is our ninth year doing this, and this time around, we’re going to have two categories: Poptropica Original and Poptropica Worlds!
Traditionally, Poptropicans submit their best Poptropica Halloween costumes in the comments section by giving an Avatar Studio link and/or posting their username. Since the Avatar Studio only works for accounts on Pop Original, the procedure for submitting a Worlds costume will be different — details below.
Tips for a sp00py costume
As you put together your entry (or entries — feel free to submit as many times as you like!), keep in mind the following:
- 🎃 Be original! Instead of just using all the parts of one costume that already exists, mix and match to create your own unique costume.
- 🎃 There are some great Halloween costume parts at the ghoul gathering from the end of the Haunted House quest from the Store, as well as the collection of free costumes in the Store, but be creative and search in other places too! We have tools like the Avatar Studio Gift and iPop to help you find just the right parts you need.
- 🎃 Keep your costume intact until after the winners are announced on October 31 (Halloween). If you change your costume before then, we may not see it! If you don’t want to keep the costume on your main account, you can create a new one and post the link to that instead. Or, send us a screenshot from the Avatar Studio in the same way as you see cropped on our ASG page. (Entries for Worlds will require a screenshot — don’t worry, it’s a simple process!)
- 🎃 Optional: Give your costume a groovy name. It’ll help your costume stand out even more, and if it wins, we’ll refer to it by the name you’ve given it!
How to enter your costume
- 🍭 To post your entry for Poptropica Original, go to the Avatar Studio, type in your username, click Load, click on the Link to highlight it, right-click and choose Copy. Then, go to the comments section on this post, right-click and choose Paste, type in your comment (you can include your username if you’d like to) and submit it, so we can view your costume by clicking the link!
- 🍭 To post your entry for Poptropica Worlds, go to your closet and take a screenshot (see instructions here for screenshotting on any computer or mobile device). Then, upload your screenshot on an image hosting website such as imgur or TinyPic, copy the link to your image, and insert the link into your comment so we see it!
For both games, you can submit as many entries as you like, but if you do, make sure to use multiple accounts so that you don’t overwrite the last costume you put on. Remember, though, you can only win a maximum of one time for each game.
The contest closes on Monday, October 30. Winners will be announced October 31.
Winners & Prizes
- 👻 On Halloween (October 31), we’ll make a post featuring the winning costumes on the front page of the PHB for all to see, *PLUS* each winner will receive a one-month Poptropica membership, courtesy of the Poptropica Creators!
- 👻 The winning costumes will also be immortalized on the PHB’s Costumes page, where you can see examples of past Halloween winners.
- 👻 We’ll have 12 winners total – 6 costumes from each game – as well as some honorary mentions for just the post, but not the page.
🍭👻🎃 Happy Costumizing! 🎃👻🍭
🦇 P.S. If you’re feeling especially artistic in this spooky season, be sure to participate in this month’s Community Creations, which also has a Halloween theme!
It is the year 201x. Doctor Cobalt sits down on his recliner, drinking the aged grape juice his robot servant gave him. He looks up at the screen embedded into the wall, scrolling through the PHB’s archives. “Hey,” he wonders aloud, upon noticing that the PHB had reached 24 million hits in April of 2016. “Did we ever celebrate that?” the old, discolored scientist asks, to no one in particular.
He gets up from his beloved chair, placing the glass down on the table. Grabbing a flashlight, the doctor proceeds to walk down the rickety spiral staircase. He shines the flashlight into a darkened room. “Well fellas, I finally found some use for all five of you.” The old doctor laughs, taking the time-watch out of his lab coat.
Wihi, Cobalt here! A white blast of light hits him from behind.
“Wait, you have to reschedule the Top Five Wanted Gaming Features for another day! I’ve come from the year 201x, and I’m here to tell you, you’ve got to do something for the PHB viewers for helping the blog reach 24 million hits! How about a little contest?”
Well, alright. I guess we can have a contest, but I’d like it to be a Top Five post at least…
There is a lot of unreleased material without specific cards in Poptropica’s files, and some that are so mysterious and awesome, you almost feel compelled to speculate about them. From a never before seen Astro-Knight to a pepper gun, these items sure are fun! 😉
So for starters, all these items appear on SUI and Non-SUI, probably meaning they’re having no plans on releasing these items. While they are awesome, I will admit, I do see no purpose for them anymore either. Though, let’s get on with it! (Trust me, I’m showing you the best of the best!)
Also, I didn’t steal these pictures from anyone, I just thought it would be easier to take screenshots from my Poptropican’s closet, check it out for yourself! My username is: CaptainSpencer
5. More-dred’s Mace
There’s more to Mordred after all! While the item name is called tBardStaff, it does look better with Mordred than with Binary Bard. (It makes the jester hat less repetitive, I’d say.) Other than on an ASG that’s been patched, I’m sure many of you haven’t seen this one before!
4. Secret Samurai
I’d imagine this samurai was planned to have been obtainable somewhere along the road during Red Dragon‘s development, but it never saw the light of day, always sneaking in the shadows of Poptropica’s files… Well, hopefully now this costume gets the gratitude it deserves! One thing is for sure, this armor is ancient!
3. Never-Seen Ninja
This ninja honestly would’ve been my favorite outfit back in the day. It looks like a mixture of all the ninja costumes possibly obtainable now, though. 5/5 Shuriken Stars!
2. Pretty Pistol
That’s right, the villain with without a doubt the best character design (El Mustachio Grande!) was originally going to have an awesome gun. It’s called the pepper gun, but the pepper pistol sounds a lot cooler in my opinion. 😉
Anyway, I get why they took it away; it really does distract from his outfit and he already has a pistol in his holster. Though, maybe they could’ve downscaled it a bit?
1. Rock and Roll All Knight!
This outfit is definitely boulder than all the other ones I showed you! While the emerald hammer is a whole different unreleased item of its own, I noticed the color palettes were similar, and I kind of fictionized it together.
So hopefully you all enjoyed this pop-in to a never before seen Poptropica past. I definitely think all of these were worthy items back in the day, but I guess releasing them now wouldn’t make much sense, would it? 😛
Now that the outfit preview is over, it’s time for a fun little contest!
Any amount of battle stars, credits (max. 5625), name and unreleased outfit (from this post) of your choosing is up for five lucky commenters – all you have to do is submit a brief backstory to a Poptropican wearing said outfit. You also need to tell me the username, and if you win, I’ll pm you the account credentials on the PHC.
I’d like the secret samurai with the name Firstname Lastname, 5 battle stars, and the maximum amount of credits! I’d like the user to be FirstNamesSwagAccount. Here’s the story:
The secret samurai was named Sammy Samurai and had an awesome sword called the Sammy Sword. He slew all the bad guys and got babes with it.
Of course I’d like the submissions to be a little more serious. 😉 The contest ends precisely a week from now! What outfit will you choose?
Well, back to the future for me! Until next post pops around, Poptropicanos…
Happy Halloween, Poptropicans! It’s finally time to unveil the winners of this year’s PHB Halloween Competition, which came in two parts: costumes and Photo Booth. We’re celebrating our recent milestone of 20 million hits by choosing 20 winners; 10 for each portion. Here we go…
Part I: Costumes
Mirror, mirror on the wall; who’s the scariest of them all? Well, the PHB team enjoyed looking at the great number of ghastly garbs that dared to enter this hallowed competition, and we’ve finally narrowed it down to ten of this year’s best! These guys get the honor of being shown on the front page via this post, as well as having their costumes immortalized on the PHB’s Costumes page. Check ’em out:
Part II: Photo Booth
The Creators may have held their own Photo Booth Halloween challenge, but we were first – and we did promise to award memberships to the winners! 😉 Check out these spine-chilling spectacles created right in Home Island’s Photo Booth (with a bit of clever image editing in #2)!
If you are one of the Photo Booth winners, check your email for a message from the PHB regarding having your membership awarded to you. #1 gets a 6-month membership, #2 and #3 get a 3-month each, and #4-10 each get a 1-month! Might come in handy for the upcoming Escape from Pelican Rock Island. 😛
We had hundreds of entries for the PHB’s 7th Annual Halloween Competition, and regardless of whether or not yours made this list, thank you for participating! If you’d like to check out everyone’s entries, browse the comments section of the contest post before it’s too late. 😉
Still in the Halloween spirit? Check out the new PHB post, “Scariest Poptropica Moments”!
👻 † Happy Halloween from the PHB! † 👻
Dance like a Zomberry!
Heyyo Poptropicans, it’s Ultimate iPad Expert here! It’s been a little while since I last posted, so glad to be back at it again.
Anyway, today the Creators announced the winners of their Halloween Photo Booth Challenge! The Creators’ received thousands of entries from Poptropicans, and have narrowed them down to one winner and 5 runner-ups for each of the five categories. So, let’s get to the winners! 😀
- Winner: Golden Typhoon
- Runners-up: Golden Rider, Trusty Lightning, Spotted Eagle, Slippery Boot, Happy Starfish
The first category is Best Costume, showing off the coolest of the creepy costumes. The overall winner is Golden Typhoon, with her character’s in-transformation werewolf and the addition of the awesomely terrifying wolves from on Vampire’s Curse! Here’s what the Creators commented:
Golden Typhoon didn’t just make a great werewolf costume — she also posed it mid-transformation for a dramatic photo. Look how the other wolves are welcoming the newest member of their pack! Creepy!
Great runners up, too, including characters inspired by some of your favorite movies and comic books.
Best Halloween Party
- Winner: Speedy Knuckle
- Runners-up: Orange Burger, Squeezy Pelican, Trusty Walker, White Toes, Brave Thunder
Second is the Best Halloween Party, with its several scary celebrations. The overall winner of this category is Speedy Knuckle! He made a super awesome party with some awesome quests including a few creators and famous monsters. I especially love the crowd-surfing vampire. The Creators are totally down for these parties:
Judging by the entries we received in this category, Poptropicans know how to get down! Please invite us to all of your future parties. Our winner was Speedy Knuckle, whose composition and character poses made for a rockin’ good time.
Special mention to the runners up, each of whom brought a fun twist to the idea of a Halloween party.
- Winner: Tall Kid
- Runners-up: Fast Lizard, Fast Lizard (yup, he won two spots!), Popular Flyer, Spotted Sword, Super Snowball
Tall Kid brought home the top spot in the Funniest Photo section, which in itself has heaps of hilarious happenings. Tall Kid created what I can only assume it’s of some sort of condiment battle. A few monsters are chasing a guy in a hot dog costume with ketchup and mustard. I have to say it did make me chuckle. 😛 The Creators appreciated the sense of humor, too:
Tons of hilarious entries in this category. In the end, we had to give the top spot to Tall Kid, who gave us three monsters (and two bats) chasing a poor Poptropican in a hot dog costume. We always knew that would get you in the end.
You’re not seeing double in the runners-up. Fast Lizard placed twice, and with good reason!
Most Creative Photo
- Winner: Smart Glove
- Runners-up: Blue Monster, Brave Pear, Loud Chicken, Moody Jumper, Tall Flipper
Next up is the Most Creative Photo filled with innumerable imaginative inventions. The winner of the category is Smart Glove depicting a little Halloween get-together that seems to have been interrupted by Mr. Silva from Shrink Ray. It’s a pretty cool photo, if I do say so myself. The Creators enjoyed looking through everyone’s creative entries:
Every photo we got was creative. Smart Glove zoomed out to show Halloween from a perspective we hadn’t really seen before.
Check out the runners up for some clever and fun storytelling, too.
- Winner: Maroon Bird
- Runners-up: Brave Panda, Fast Lizard, Neat Hopper, Noisy Bones, Trusty Leaf
The final category, Scariest Photo, shows off a certain type of terrifying talent. The winner of the most frightening of submissions is a work by Maroon Bird. The scene shows DJ Saturday Night and Aphrodite on walk with a zomberry peering in through the forest of trees. It is quite creepy. The Creators say it may even be too scary:
The Jersey Devil found his way into a lot of the scariest photos, but it was Maroon Bird’s contribution to the Slenderman tale that earned top honors in this category.
Pretty much all of these are a little too scary, though. Maybe you should scroll back up to the funny ones.
By the way, the winners of each category get to have their avatars and their photos added to the Photo Booth for the next week, so you can play around with them in the Photo Booth!
Well, that concludes the winning submissions from the Creators’ Halloween Photo Booth Challenge (wow, long title)! As for the PHB’s Halloween contests (Costume & Photo Booth), we’ll be announcing the winners tomorrow on Halloween, so stay tuned! Prizes include some Poptropica memberships, and it’s not too late to enter, so check it out!
What did you guys think of the winners and runner-ups? Comment below.
• Ultimate iPad Expert •
Boo, Poptropicans! Halloween is approaching, and that means… it’s time for another Halloween costume competition here on the PHB! This will be our 7th year in a row, but we’re adding a special twist: with the recent Photo Booth added to Poptropica’s Home Island, you can enter a picture creation for a chance to win a membership from the PHB! Sound spooktacular?
Part I: Costume Competition
Traditionally, Poptropicans submit their best Poptropica Halloween costumes in the comments section by giving an Avatar Studio link and/or posting their username. Keep in mind the following tips:
- Be original! Mix and match to create your own unique costume(s).
- There are some great Halloween costume parts at the ghoul gathering from the end of the Haunted House quest from the Store, as well as the collection of free costumes in the Store, but be creative and search in other places too!
- Keep your costume intact until after the winners are announced, or we may not see it! If you don’t want to keep the costume on your main account, create a new one and post that instead.
- To post your entry, go to the Avatar Studio, type in your username, click Load, click on the Link to highlight it, right-click and choose Copy, go to the comments section on this post, right-click and choose Paste, type in your comment and submit so we can view your costume by clicking the link! Name your costume and post the username if you want.
PRIZES: On Halloween (October 31st), we’ll make a post featuring the winning costumes, plus they will also be immortalized on the PHB’s Costumes page, where you can also see examples of past winners. We’ll have 10 winners for the costume portion, but wait, there’s more…
Part II: Photo Booth Competition
This year, to celebrate our recent milestone of 20 million views here on the PHB, we’re adding a new portion to the competition: the Photo Booth, where we’ll pick another 10 winners for a total of 20!
If you haven’t checked out the Photo Booth on Home Island yet, now’s the time! Poptropica recently added lots of Halloween props to the feature, and you can check out the PHB’s Photo Booth guide here. The objective of this competition is to create the best Halloween picture with your character in it using the Photo Booth, which means you’ll need a snazzy Halloween costume on (see part I)!
For anyone entering this part of the competition, you’ll also need to complete Part I and share a link to your Poptropican to prove that you own the character you use in your Photo Booth pic. This part is optional, but like the first part, we’ll be selecting 10 winners, and the PRIZES get better…
- First place: 6-month membership
- Second and third place: 3-month membership
- 4th to 10th place: 1-month membership
That’s right, you can enter for a chance to win a membership paid for by the PHB!
Important: If you are selected to win one, you must be comfortable in privately contacting us with your login credentials (username and password) so that the membership may be awarded. If you have a currently active membership and are selected, keep in touch with us about when it expires and we will work something out (or, you can donate your membership prize to an honorable mention entrant). 🙂
How to enter:
- Create your picture with the Photo Booth on Home Island, being sure to include your character wearing a spooktacular Halloween costume somewhere in it.
- Press the green checkmark button to save the image to your computer.
- Upload the image somewhere on the web (for example, tinypic) that will give the image a URL.
- Copy and paste the image URL into the comments section along with the instructions from part I (Avatar Studio link of your costume and/or username). This will allow us to see the image online.
Note: For both competitions, you can submit as many entries as you like, but you can only win a maximum of one time. Have fun! You have until Halloween.
Happy Halloween, Poptropicans… 😈
May the spookiest rise from their graves.
Heyyo Poptropicans, it’s Ultimate iPad Expert. Two weeks ago, I began my fan art contest, and today it’s time to crown the winners! 😀
I got so many awesome submissions from each and every contestant and I’m so grateful for all of it! I had a really hard time picking my top 3 favorites, in fact, my bro gave me his thoughts to help me out. Took me about an hour, but I think I’m ready to announce them winners.
I had a super hard choosing my third place winner, but I really love the pixel art from Ylimegirl. It’s really cool and deserved some good recognition.
I really love this submission, called “Bad Traveling Plans”, by NiceFoxPop! The art style is really cool, and I love that she gave it a name, also. It really deserved a spot in the top 3.
And the first place goes to Master Pinpey! I love her art style, as well, and I couldn’t help but give her the win. I quite enjoy the background, as well, it looks really cool.
Thanks to everyone who submitted one of the 15 submissions in all that I received! I didn’t expect at all to get that many, but I’m so glad for it, and I hope everyone had fun making them! 😀
A little message to the 3 winners, as well – If you’d like your very own meme face (such as this one, but with your Poptropican), please email me your Poptropican’s username, as well as a meme face you’d like your Poptropican to have, and I’ll create your masterpiece. 😛
And for Master Pinpey, I’ll be creating a logo for you. So, if you have any specific things (colors, objects, characters, etc.) that you’d like in it. Or if you have some sort of idea already of what you’d like, then feel free to send me those ideas.
Check out the other submissions below, plus some more thoughts on them from me! You can click on the images to read my thoughts for each one.
Once again, thanks so much to all of the contestants! What did you think of all of the submissions? Comment below.
• Ultimate iPad Expert •