Disclaimer: We are not the Poptropica Creators!
Poptropica Creators — they’re the team behind every detail of the game we know and love. Every island, every item, every idea, every Poptropica thing! They write up the fun posts with special sneak peeks you see on their Creators’ Blog, make videos for the Creators’ YouTube channel, and lots more. This page is all about their individual identities — their aliases (Poptropican alter egos) as well as who they are in real life.
In actuality, Poptropica Creators switch from identity to identity, but this is just a fun way to present them together. It should also be noted that Poptropican aliases were more common in the earlier years of Poptropica and some have fallen into disuse. Also, as circumstances change, some of those named here may no longer work for Poptropica.
That being said, let’s pop into it, starting with those whose real identities have been matched up to Poptropica alter egos!
Captain Crawfish was once prominent for being the primary writer on the Creators’ Blog, being the voice of the Poptropica video walkthroughs, and more. In the game, he’s the villain of Skullduggery Island. His username is CaptainCrawfishCreator.
We know the voice who narrates the aforementioned videos is that of Mitch Krpata from an interview he spoke in. Mitch was Poptropica’s lead writer and has written most of Poptropica’s graphic novels and much more. Learn more about him and his advice to Poptropicans in this interview conducted by the PHB!
Jeff Kinney is the founder of Poptropica. You may also know him as the author of the bestselling children’s book series Diary of a Wimpy Kid (which has some sponsored islands on Poptropica). He also mentions being the founder of Poptropica at the back of his Diary of a Wimpy Kid books.
It is not confirmed whether Comic Kid (a retired personality who used to write on the Creators’ Blog) is in fact Jeff’s alter ego, but players have referred to him as such due to his connection with comics. In the game, “Comic Kid” is known as Ned Noodlehead, the comic book store owner on Super Power Island. His Poptropica account is unknown.
Director D is the retired alias of past Poptropica product development director James D. Lema. His username is DirectorDcreator1, and James Lema’s LinkedIn profile picture used to be one of Director D. Additionally, there is a post on the Boston PIB (Partners in Business) blog (which is related to Pearson, Poptropica’s company) in which he presented a graphic invitation to a “Poptropica Lunchtime Seminar.”
On his Twitter, James has made a few tweets referring to his job at Poptropica, including a selfie of his last day at the office, a goodbye gift from a Poptropica artist named Joel, and a signed shirt that read “Director D-Lema” with Director D’s character on it.
Dr. Hare is the alias of Poptropica lead developer Jordan Leary –— we know this because his Poptropica username is, simply, JordanLeary. He has been quoted in an HJNews.com article about Poptropica. Jordan is the one in the middle of the picture on the right. Also, the developer “Billy Jordan” on Mocktropica Island could be a reference to Jordan.
In the game, he is the villain of 24 Carrot Island, and according to Poptropica: The Official Guide, the idea of Dr. Hare was conceived by Shark Boy (presumably Nate Greenwall; see below) when he was in college and was thinking of a nemesis for his comic book protagonist, Carrot Teen (a radioactive carrot). The PHB has featured a Pop Portfolio of Jordan Leary’s design work.
Dr. Lange is presumably the alias of Poptropica artist Ashley Lange, based on their names. Her username is not known, and Dr. Lange’s character appears in-game as the scientist on Virus Hunter Island who sends you into Joe’s body.
Ashley Lange has a LinkedIn profile professing her Poptropica credentials, and she has also posted some of her own unused Poptropica concept art on deviantArt. On Christmas Eve 2014, the Poptropica Twitter posted an unexpected tribute to the then-current authors of the Poptropica Help Blog (that’s us!) — artwork made by Dr. Lange! The PHB has also featured a Pop Portfolio of Lange’s artwork.
Hazmat Hermit is the alias of Justin Lacy – we know this because his Poptropica username is, simply, JustinLacy. Not much is known about him, and although he used to blog on the Creators’ Blog, the identity seems to have since been retired. In the game, he is the guy standing on the meteorite that crashed into the Super Power Island county prison.
Master Mime is the alias of Poptropica illustrator and advertising design manager Jon Pitcher, but his Poptropica account is unknown. Jon’s LinkedIn profile used to be a picture of Master Mime, a character modeled after the mimes on Counterfeit Island. On Survival Island (Episode 4), there is a Pitcher item with “Jon” engraved on it – a clever reference to this very person.
He also managed the official Poptropica Pinterest page, where the icon used to be Master Mime. (Poptropica’s Pinterest is no longer active.) Jon’s own Pinterest has a board where he posts Popstorms, a series of Poptropica-inspired sketches. The PHB has featured a Pop Portfolio of Jon’s artwork.
Medusa is the alias of writer Tracey West, who has authored several Poptropica books. One of these is Poptropica: The Official Guide, where it says that Medusa, a character from Mythology Island, is also known as Tracey West.
On page 116 of Poptropica: The Official Guide, Medusa writes, “When I first learned about Greek Mythology in school, Athena was always my favorite goddess. I knew I had to make her a major character when I wrote the Mythology Island script.”
Shark Guy (formerly Shark Boy)
Shark Boy (now known as Shark Guy, thanks to a copyright dispute with a wrestler named Shark Boy) is a long-time Poptropica icon whose identity has now been retired. His username is SharkGuyCreator, though previously it was SharkBoyCreator.
He is believed to be the alias of Poptropica illustrator/lead designer Nate Greenwall, whose office looks just like a picture that was once posted by Shark Boy on the Creators’ Blog (the post has since been removed). Nate’s website also confirms his role within Poptropica. The PHB has twice featured Pop Portfolios of Nate’s artwork.
Skinny Moon, also known as Jessica Devine, was the official Poptropica community liaison from 2016–2017. In that time, she was the face of Poptropica’s social media accounts, and her username is PopGirlJess.
Jessica has announced some spontaneous Multiverse parties with fans over Twitter and showed up with her character Skinny Moon. She would also occasionally visit the PHC, which is the PHB’s Discord server, to answer questions and get to know Poptropicans. The PHB has featured a Pop Portfolio of Jessica’s copywriting.
Triton has never posted on the Creators’ Blog, but his character once appeared on it in a picture showing a Poptropica Creators’ party. It was revealed through a conversation with Chris Barney, a game designer for Poptropica whose projects include Realms, that he used to use Triton’s character to pop in to common rooms every now and then.
After Mocktropica Island was released with one of the unnamed basement developer characters modeled after Chris, he took up that identity instead of Triton’s. Triton appeared in the game as a character on the beach of Mythology Island before the island was remastered with the beach scene removed. His username is TritonCreator.
Zeus is the alias of Jess M. Brallier, Poptropica’s publisher and the former manager of Poptropica’s Twitter (the profile picture used to be Zeus). His Poptropica username is not known, but Zeus appears in-game as the villain of Mythology Island.
These are Poptropican characters who have been recognized as being personas of Creators; however, there is little data on who is behind these aliases.
- 🤖 Binary Bard used to post on the Creators’ Blog but seems to have since retired. In the game, he’s the villain of Astro-Knights Island, also known as Mordred. His Poptropica username is BinaryBard.
- 🕷 Black Widow occasionally posted on the Creators’ Blog, and in the game, she’s the villain of Counterfeit Island. You can also add her at the username BlackWidowCreator. In the past, her identity was speculated to be Jennifer Wood, due to her high-ranking title (managing editor, senior project manager) at Poptropica, according to her LinkedIn profile. Her being female and her skills in copy editing (writing) made her a likely candidate for the alias of Black Widow. However, a conversation with Chris Barney (Triton; see above) revealed that while he could not reveal Black Widow’s true identity for privacy reasons, it was not Jennifer.
- 🔵 Blue Tooth (not pictured) was introduced on the Creators’ Blog in 2019 and would occasionally post on social media in reference to her pink-haired character.
- 🎮 Gamer Guy (not pictured) briefly posted on the Creators’ Blog as an “intern” as a joke to promote Mocktropica Island around the time of its release. His username is unknown, but he is represented in-game by Abe, the gamer on Zomberry Island. James Lema’s shirt tweet includes a signature from “Abe”, who may be represented by Gamer Guy. He is modeled after Poptropica game designer Abraham Tena.
- 💀 Hades used to post on the Creators’ Blog, and his username is HadesCreator1. His identity was once taken up by Mitch Krpata, as we can see from this post of his on a “Poptropica Assets” page which has a Bolas Plant SWF which was posted by Hades on the Creators’ Blog. However, Mitch is now more prominently known as Captain Crawfish (see above).
- 🐶 Red Lightning (not pictured) was briefly mentioned in a Creators’ Blog post as one of the Creators whose dog, Rubbles, played in the snow with a Dr. Hare plush toy one February day in 2017.
- 🗻 Thirsty Whale used to post on the Creators’ Blog but seems to have since retired. In the game, he’s Edmund Hilary, the first guy to reach the summit of Mt. Everest on Time Tangled Island. His name is a possible player name. On Poptropica, he’s ThirstyWhaleCreator.
- 🛶 Vlad the Viking (not pictured) used to post on the Creators’ Blog but seems to have since retired. His name is also the username of the old Poptropica YouTube channel. In the game, he’s one of the Vikings on Time Tangled Island.
Other IRL Identities
These other Poptropica Creators (both past and present) may not have public Poptropica aliases, but these are some names we’ve found, along with their roles at Poptropica:
- Abigail Grigg, illustrator (PHB feature) (LinkedIn)
- Bard McKinley, product owner & game developer (LinkedIn)
- Chris Goodwin, illustrator, designer, and interactive artist (PHB feature) (Behance)
- Chris Messner, technology director (LinkedIn); selfie on Twitter matches picture seen in Poptropica’s tweet of Creators in a Google Hangout; he shared over a Gmail conversation that his username is shreggy
- Cara Campanelli, customer support (LinkedIn)
- Dan Franklin, senior software developer (LinkedIn)
- Dena Bachman, senior production manager (LinkedIn)
- Gabriel Jensen, developer (UI system, episodic content, mini-games)
- Geoff Hassing, 2D game artist/designer (PHB feature)
- Jeff Heim, music composer (Soundcloud)
- JD Kilby, senior multimedia developer (LinkedIn)
- John “J.T.” Gallant, back-end intern (LinkedIn)
- Jonathan Trimble, creative designer (PHB feature) (Behance)
- Kevin McGrath, customer support specialist/web tester (LinkedIn)
- Kyle Fox, designer and music composer (PHB feature) (LinkedIn)
- Kyle Miller, senior designer (PHB feature)
- Lance Fry, senior artist (PHB feature) (LinkedIn)
- Lisa Wolfe, formerly listed as L. Wolfe Communications on About Poptropica page
- Max Brallier, Poptropica game designer (his website); author of Galactic Hot Dogs and the first Poptropica graphic novel, Mystery of the Map (under the pen name Jack Chabert)
- Michael Etzel, early back-end game developer (LinkedIn)
- Nasan Hardcastle, designer & illustrator for characters, environments, games, and toys (PHB feature) (his blog) (LinkedIn)
- Nate Tufts, designer & illustrator (his blog)
- Pamela Dixon, license manager (Yahoo article)
- Steve (username may be SteveCreator; his character appeared in various Daily Pop sneak peeks)
- Tyson Burnham, motion graphic designer (PHB feature) (LinkedIn)
Hope you enjoyed this glimpse behind-the-scenes of who’s who at Poptropica HQ! Thanks to all the Poptropica Creators past and present for their work on this phenomenal game. Stay awesome, Poptropicans (and Creators)!
🌟 Like this page? Check out more at our Pop Plus collection! 🌟