Walkthrough written by Slanted Fish
Special thanks to: Brave Tomato, HPuterpop, Eb, & Spotted Dragon
Welcome to Poptropica Realms, an exotic create-your-own world full of endless possibilities. Build your dream home. Create crazy landscapes. In this guide, we’ll explore everything you can do in Realms!
A journey of infinite discovery awaits you in Poptropica Realms. Create a brand-new world, and then use the power of Svadilfari to shape it into any form you can dream. Explore randomly generated terrain. Meet strange creatures. Build never-before-seen structures. In Poptropica Realms, the only limit is your imagination!
Realms is available to all players via the front page of the Map and was released in January 2015 after players spent the past year testing out alpha versions of the feature (then known as Land) via Poptropica Labs. This video from former PHB author HPuterpop offers a first look into Realms:
If this is your first time on Realms, you’ll want to go right a couple of scenes until you come across the legendary Svadilfari hammer shining above an old anvil.
Once you have the hammer, you can get started with what Realms has to offer!
There are lots of features within Realms, but let’s start with the basics. If you click the question mark button in the corner, it will bring up a help panel that should explain what all the other buttons mean.
In the bottom left corner, you can switch between game modes:
- Explore (compass icon): free run; explore freely as you would in an ordinary Poptropica island
- Mine (hammer icon): use your blue magical hammer (called Svadilfari) to destroy existing materials and find Poptanium (bundles of blue minerals used as a mode of “currency” in Realms)
- Create (paintbrush icon): build and erase materials; see ‘Materials’ below
You can tap these keys on your keyboard any time to quickly activate a function:
- 1, 2, 3: switch between game modes
- Tab: open or close the material panel
- + or -: zoom in (+) or zoom out (-)
- S: take a screenshot (save your creation to your computer as an image file)
- Arrow keys: pan camera (what the screen is showing) when you’re in Create mode
- F: cause an avalanche!
- T: click “Save” in the corner to select an area to save as a template (xml file on your computer), then click “Load” to paste it somewhere (see image below)
In the bottom right corner, you can access various tools when in Create mode:
- Material (plus icon): add materials to your palette (holds up to 7 at a time)
- Brush size (circle icon): select small or big brush to control the size of the material you’re building
- Layer (square icons; star indicating layer): swap between editing the foreground or background
Stats Bar (Poptanium, Level, Health)
This one isn’t in the Help menu, but if you look in the top-left corner, you’ll see some stats. Poptanium and level are covered later in this guide.
Health is pretty self-explanatory, but there are ways you can lose health when in your environment, such as by touching certain materials or unfriendly creatures (more on that below). You can regain health by moving away from whatever’s decreasing your health, and also by eating food props.
If you run out of health, you’ll simply respawn again at the start-up point of the realm you’re in, but you’ll also lose 50 Poptanium.
Realms: creating and visiting your worlds
When you click on the globe icon in the bottom right corner, you can access all your Realms – each a different little universe floating in a bubble. To create a new world, click on an empty bubble.
Other than Asgard, which is the world you first land on, you can name all the worlds you create. If you can’t think of a name, Realms automatically generates a funny-sounding one for you.
Next, pick the type of biome you want your world to have. There are seven biomes: forest, ice, desert, swamp, lunar, fire, and crystal (the latter two are members-only). Each biome also comes with its own unique awesome soundtrack.
Anyway, when you’re creating a Realm, you can also choose the size your biome starts out with. However, this can always be expanded by continuously exploring your world. When you’re satisfied, click Create!
To access other worlds you’ve created, click on its bubble when you’re in the Realms interface, and it will come up with info for that world: name, type, size, and last visit. From there you can visit, share, or delete that particular realm.
Mining Poptanium & Leveling Up
Poptanium is how the economy system of Realms runs: for every piece of Poptanium you find, it’ll award you 10. Every time you build something, you spend 1 Poptanium, but this in turn gets you closer to leveling up. Leveling up allows you to unlock more materials.
To search for the blue Poptanium, you need to be in mining mode. As long as you are in mine mode and have the hammer, simply click on what you want to destroy (usually large chunks of rock) and every so often, a piece of Poptanium will appear! Occasionally, you may even come across chests or bags of Poptanium that award you more Poptanium than the usual 10.
To make it easier to search for Poptanium, try mining where there are large masses of rocks. When you’ve cleared out those spaces, simply create more rocks there and go back to mining. In other words, have a “mining Realm” specifically for farming Poptanium!
As you level up, you’ll also unlock more abilities with your hammer. Ground Pound (unlocked at level 5; press 4 to activate) allows you to smash the ground to destroy more at a time (see below), Hammerang (unlocked at level 10; press 5) turns your hammer into a boomerang and destroys what’s in front of you, and Super Jump (unlocked at level 15; press 6) makes you jump up really high so you can bound over tall structures.
Here’s a tip for if you’re not interested in mining for Poptanium and just want to start building things – visit Invisible Drummer’s Realms with the codes bhj26 and c2tp6 and pick up all the Poptanium bars laying around in one convenient location. No more having to dig for your own Poptanium!
For a limited time during June 2015, a Lightsaber was added as a promotion for Star Wars Rebels and it was able to help you collect Poptanium faster, destroying larger amounts of material when deployed, either by swinging (like a sword) or throwing (much like the Hammerang power).
As mentioned above, leveling up allows you to unlock more material, and you level up by building things. This image gallery for most of the “level up” moments shows what you unlock at each level (click to enlarge):
Unlockables: Materials & Props
The above “level up” gallery shows what you unlock at each new level, but just what are those things? Well, you can use these various materials to modify your world as you like. Below is a compiled list of what’s available and any effects they may have.
- Natural materials: stone/ice/rock, mud/(frozen) dirt, grass/snow/sand, light wood, light leaves, dark wood, pine leaves, bush, flowers, vines, thorn (stings), cactus (stings), cobwebs (slows speed), water (decreases health), steam (floats you up), lava (decreases health)
- Constricted materials: logs, log circles, wood, light wood, bamboo, wall for ruins, wall for pillars, stone wall, brick wall, ceramic tiles, metal, circuitry, red roof tiles, blue fabric pattern, canvas, wooden sticks, metal bars, wooden lattice, glass, rope (climbable), barbed wire (stings), spring (bounces you up), conveyor belt (left), conveyor belt (right), TNT (explodes if zapped in mining mode), crumbling tiles (crumbles when you walk over), crystals (makes sound when hit)
- Props: cup, chair, wooden table, anvil, crate, barrel, stone pillar, milk, lunch tray, kitchen cabinet, front-facing door, window, cardboard box, side-facing door, loaf of bread, cupcake, spaghetti, blue bed, pink bed, bookshelf, another wooden table, lamp, dresser table with mirror, toilet bowl, drawers, closet, tire lying flat, tire standing up, ceiling light, washing mashine, strawberry and kiwi cake, strawberry tart, framed blue mountain landscape, blue couch, long ceiling light, potted plant, cake with green icing, framed orange rock landscape, sink, treasure chest, water cooler, popcorn, oven, couch chair, baseball, soccer ball, framed landscape of palm trees, framed picture of unicorn, shower, basketball, (American) football, sewing machine, standing lamp, fireplace, microwave, cup with handle, disc player, television, banana split, radio, purple jar, safe, bicycle, potted cactus, heavily layered sandwich, motorcycle, computer, digital camera, chocolate cake
Just select the material you want, and place it where you want it on the grid that shows up in Create mode. Remember that you can build some things in the foreground and others in the background by switching layers.
Food items can also be eaten, and they regenerate your health more quickly – great for times when you accidentally fall into lava. There are also more interactive props to play around with, so explore them all!
Have fun constructing!
Realms Nature: Sky, Twilight Pixies, Creatures, & Weather
Another cool feature: as you stay in a realm for a period of time, the sky will slowly change to reflect the passing time, cycling from daybreak to nightfall and so on.
However, watch out for the Twilight Pixies that come out at night and just before sunrise – every time they swarm you, they’ll steal 10 Poptanium from you per hit. As a result, you’re forced to either try to combat them with your hammer, or possibly make a little hidey-hole to keep away from them if a lot are looking at once. If you’re quick enough, you can hit them with your hammer while they are fleeing to get the stolen Poptanium back!
Occasionally you’ll come across creatures of various sizes and with animal-like appearances. Some of them are tame, but others will attack you, decreasing your health. You can attack them back by zapping them with your hammer – zap long enough and they’ll disappear (poor buggers).
If you leave food (via the props) for the monsters, they will eat them and can even be tamed that way! Plus, when they’re full, they’ll also drop Poptanium for you.
You may also experience the occasional weather change while you’re exploring Realms. The forest biome has rainstorms, the snow realm has snow, the sand realm has sandstorms, the swamp biome has acid rain, and the lunar biome has… meteors. At least the meteors are safe – in fact, they award you Poptanium!
An umbrella might be a good idea, too. 🙂
To get a free Realms Builder costume, simply enter the promo code GOREALMS. Click here if you need instructions on redeeming a promo code.
You can also grab a selection of Biome Hats for free from the Store. (Like in Realms, Fire and Crystal are only for members.) For a tribute to these fun hats, check out this PHB special post.
Finally, if you reach level 15, you’ll earn a special Master Creator costume. It should look familiar, because it’s the outfit of the Viking dude who’s been giving you tips as you went along!
Enjoy the Realms-themed gear!
Sharing and Visiting: Public Realms
In late June 2015, the ability to share and visit people’s Realms became a feature. To share a Realm, visit the Realms menu (the bubble in the lower-left corner) and select the Realm you’d like to share, then click the “Share” button (only members can do this).
Once you do, it’ll be sent to the Creators for approval, and as long as there’s nothing inappropriate, it’ll be visible to the public shortly. When it’s approved, you’ll see a Realm code in the Realms menu that you can tell people about so they can check it out.
But everyone can visit other people’s Realms and give likes – just navigate over to the menu in the top-left and click the dropdown button for “Public Realms”. You can also enter a Realms code, if you know a specific one you want to visit. If you’d like, you are welcome to share your Realm code(s) in the comments here for people to check out your creation!
For a closer look at some Poptropica Creators’ Realms, check out this PHB post!
The above images are the beautiful backgrounds from the Realms menus, which you can enjoy here. The images can also be tiled.
Gallery of Realms-Land Creations
Check out this gallery of worlds Poptropicans have made using this feature, and perhaps you too will be inspired to create something great. (Click to enlarge pics.)
To read more about the previous incarnations of Realms, known as Poptropica Land, click here. Hope you found this Poptropica Realms Guide to be helpful! Go forth and make a masterpiece!