A malfunctioning time machine has messed up history! It’s your job to go back in time and set things right. Because if you don’t, who knows what the future will hold!
For walkthroughs on Time Tangled Island, scroll down.
Quippy’s Store Items
Quippy sells the following items inside the Party Time Tower common room: Pharaoh (King of Egypt), the Queen of Egypt, a Templar Knight*, and Joan of Arc*. (* = members only)
For a written walkthrough with pictures, scroll down on this page!
Walkthrough by Slanted Fish
Welcome to Time Tangled Island, where the past is all jumbled up and it’s somehow, of course, up to you to fix it.
Talk to the scientist outside Pendulum’s Lab, then follow her inside. A Future Machine awaits! Activate it by running down to the bottom, and push the big plug into its equally big socket. Then jump up to the machine, now glowing blue, and enter.
You will appear in a dystopian world filled with flies and air pollution. Head left and you’ll find someone who looks looks eerily similar to you… wait, it is you, 50 years into the terrible future. A signpost laments what has become of the world.
Ask them (yourself?) for help in repairing the past, and you’ll be handed a Time Device to allow you to travel through time. You can use it by by clicking on the time device icon, now located at the bottom left corner of your screen.
In order to save the future, you must travel to the different time periods of the past, find the missing artifact of another time period, and then return it to the original time period. You can do this in any order. Here’s a quick look and what you need to give and get from each time period, but note that these are not the only items you’ll need to find:
- Mt. Everest (1953) — get Statuette of Liberty / give Goggles
- Statue of Liberty (1882) — get Notebook / give Statuette of Liberty
- The Graff House (1776) — get Salt Rocks / give Declaration of Independence
- Mali Empire (1387) — get Declaration of Independence / give Salt Rocks
- Edison’s Workshop (1877) — get Piece of Stone / give Phonograph
- Aztec Empire (1519) — get Goggles / give Piece of Stone
- Leonardo da Vinci (1516) — get Peace Medal / give Notebook
- Lewis & Clark Expedition (1805) — get Stone Bowl / give Peace Medal
- Great Wall of China (1593) — get Amulet / give Stone Bowl
- Vikings (831) — get Golden Vase / give Amulet
- Ancient Greece (328 BC) — get Phonograph / give Golden Vase
Let’s start by clicking on the icon of a man in a blue hood with black goggles (11 o’clock) — that’ll take you to Mount Everest, year 1953. Press the knob to the side, and off you’ll go!
Mount Everest, 1953
Make your way up Mount Everest by following the path. When you find the rope, keep going up, and onwards through the snow. You’ll eventually come across two hikers. One of them, Edmund Hillary, has lost his climbing goggles, so they’re stuck.
But that doesn’t mean you can’t keep going! Head up to the summit and take the Statuette of Liberty sitting in the snow. (Wait a minute, if Edmund Hillary and his sherpa pal Tenzing Norgay were the first people to reach this summit IRL, did you just break history by beating them to the top?)
Anyway, it’s really cold up here, so let’s keep moving. Click the time device again, and this time click on 10 o’clock (man with brown hair and mustache). Press the knob and here we go to 1882 AD!
Statue of Liberty, 1882
You’re now at the French site where the Statue of Liberty is being built. Go to the left and enter “Gadget, Gauthier et Cie.” Inside, on the right, you’ll meet Bartholdi, the sculptor who’s missing his study model. Tell him you have it, and this time period will be repaired!
Exit the building and jump up to the top of the construction site. There you’ll meet Gustave Eiffel, best known for designing the Eiffel Tower. Anyway, get to the tip of this top ledge and jump diagonally up left, which should land you on the ledge of the side building. If you land just right, you can grab the Notebook! If not, just try again until you can get it.
Next up, 1776 AD. Open the time device again click on 7 o’clock (man with black hat and brown pigtail).
The Graff House, 1776
Move right, careful to avoid the hedgehog. You’ll arrive in front of the big red Graff House, where Thomas Jefferson is writing the Declaration of Independence to create a new nation. But we’ll get to that later! For now, jump up the window ledges and grab the bag of Salt Rocks from the chimney.
Open up the time device again, and click on 3 o’clock (woman with white turban). Press the knob, and off we go to the year 1387.
Mali Empire (Timbuktu), 1387
Go right and past two green bushes. Find the ledge and jump up, then keep going up until you’re on top of a building with a man in a white turban. Tell him you’ve found his salt rocks, and the time period will be repaired!
Now jump down one level, careful to avoid the snake, and keep going right until you reach the Timbuktu Inn. Inside, go up and talk to the man wearing white. He’ll show you some documents he’s been trading.
Seeing your interest in a foreign document, he’ll offer it to you in exchange for a little help with a puzzle. Put together this 18-piece jigsaw of the the king Mansa Musa, and you’ll be given the Declaration of Independence!
Now let’s go back to the Graff House in 1776 AD by clicking on 7 o’clock on the time device. This time enter the house and find the man in a black hat. It’s Thomas Jefferson, and what did he miss? His draft of the Declaration of Independence! Give it to him, and the time period will be repaired.
Edison’s Workshop, 1877
Open your time device again, and click on 9 o’clock (man with brown hair). You’ll arrive in Thomas Edison’s workshop in 1887 AD.
At the far left is an old-school bike. Hop on, and click on the circle on top of the bigger wheel to make it move. When it stops, jump onto the branch above the vehicle and up again. Then hop onto the gray roof and pick up the colorful Piece of Stone sticking out of the chimney.
Aztec Empire, 1519 AD
Open up your time device again, and click on 5 o’clock (man wearing leaf headdress). This is the Aztec empire, 1519 AD.
Go right and jump over the goggled guard to avoid having him knock you over. Climb up the steps until you reach the top, and talk to the Aztec king with the big headdress. Give him the missing piece of the sun stone. The time period will be repaired! The stone, by the way, honors Tonatiuh, the Aztec deity of the sun.
Jump off the temple and head right. On the farthest building, you’ll find an elderly man who will give you his Aztec Warrior Headdress. Put it on, then head back left to the aggressive guards. With your headdress on, they won’t attack you anymore. One of them will even give you his Goggles!
You remember who was missing his goggles? Head back over to Mount Everest (11 o’clock on the time device) and talk to Edmund Hillary in the blue coat. Give him the goggles, and the time period will be repaired! You can even follow the hikers up to the peak of Everest and enjoy the view together.
Leonardo da Vinci’s Workshop, 1516
Onto saving more time periods! Open up your time device and click on 4 o’clock (man with brown hat and gray beard). That’ll take you to 1516 AD, the era of the Renaissance!
Go left and up past the waterfall. At the wooden platforms, jump up to the swing-powered platform. Ride it down until it stops, then jump left and mind the gap. When you get in front of Leo’s workshop, enter.
Inside, go to the top floor and look for a painter dressed in brown. That’s Leonardo da Vinci (Leo). Give him his notebook, and the time period will be repaired! As a reward, Leo will give you a Glider. You can wear this and it will help you sort of float in the air. Put on the glider and exit Leo’s workshop.
Go back to the wooden platforms, and below the man, you’ll see a gleaming silver medal. Wearing your new glider, glide over to the Peace Medal to grab it.
Lewis and Clark Expedition, 1805
Next up in time travel: the Lewis and Clark expedition. Open the time device and click on 8 o’clock (man with big brown hat and pigtail). The year is 1805 AD.
Go right until you find the tree. Jump to the top branch and wait for a beaver to pop up with a Stone Bowl on his head. Reach for it when it comes! By the way, the script on the bowl is “勇” (pronounced yǒng, Chinese for brave).
Jump down to ground level and go right until you find Captain Meriwether Lewis in the hat and pigtail. Give him the peace medal, and the time period will be repaired!
Great Wall of China, 1593
Open up your time device again, and click on 6 o’clock (man in gray helmet). Here in 1539 AD, the Great Wall of China is still being built. Head right and grab the barrel of Gunpowder. (Seems like a dangerous thing to leave lying around…)
Then jump up on the construction, watching out for falling bricks, and keep going up and then right to a man in fine red robes. He’ll offer you his amulet if you can beat him at a little game, which immediately commences.
You’ll be shown a layout of eight Mahjong tiles and have to recall the tile on top. Keep an eye on its location as the tiles are turned over and shuffled. (Wait, this isn’t how you play Mahjong!) Anyway, when the shuffling is over, select the tile that you think is identical to the one on top, which you’ve hopefully been following with your eyes. If you get it right, the man will give you his Amulet. If you miss, don’t worry, you can try again.
Now head left until you find the soldier patrolling the wall. Give him the stone bowl, and the time period will be repaired!
Open the time device again, and this time click on 2 o’clock (Viking man with helmet and pigtails). Tell the first Viking you see that you have the amulet, and the time period will be repaired! With the blessings of Thor and his hammer as depicted on the amulet, the Vikings are ready to set sail again.
Then head right and jump up to a cave with its entrance blocked by rocks. Click on the rocks to blow them up with your gunpowder, and enter the cave. A golden vase awaits inside, but you have to be quick!
Inside, you’ll have about 30 seconds to find the Golden Vase in the bottom left corner. At the bottom, take care not to fall into the water, or your torch will go out. Here’s a map of the cave and the route you should take (S for Start; F for Finish). (Thanks Fierce Moon!)
If your torch burns out, you can try again. Once you have the vase, the whole cave will light up, letting you make your way back out with ease.
By the way, there’s a bonus item on the ledge to the far right. Wearing the Glider you got from Leo da Vinci, take a running leap from the cave’s ledge to glide your way over to this small cliff to get yourself an epic Viking Suit!
Ancient Greece (Delphi), 328 B.C.
Open up your time device again, and click on 1 o’clock (soldier in full helmet with red feathers). This stop is Delphi in ancient Greece, 328 BC.
Head right and up to the building on the hill, then enter. Inside, you’ll meet the Oracle of Delphi, who says you must make a donation at the treasury in order to hear her wisdom.
Go back to where you started and tell the second soldier that you have the golden vase for the treasury. The time period will be repaired, and you can hear what else the oracle has to say! However, if you’ve reached this far into the guide, her tips are only speaking to sequences we’ve already solved.
But there’s still one more thing we must make right. There’s a misplaced item on the roof of the treasury, and to get up there, you’ll need to do some jumping. So first jump up to the roof of the oracle’s building, then onto the next roof, then the statue, and finally to the treasury roof. There, you’ll find Thomas Edison’s Phonograph.
From your inventory, you can click on the arrow sign on the phonograph item card to listen to Edison’s actual voice singing “Mary Had a Little Lamb.”
Now go back to Edison’s Workshop, 1877 by clicking 9 o’clock on the time device. Enter the workshop and go left and up until you find Thomas Edison, who’s wearing a red vest. Tell him you have his phonograph, and the time period will be repaired!
Back to the Future
Now that all the time periods have been repaired, go back to the present by opening your time device and clicking on 12 o’clock (marked “Lab”). Enter Pendulum’s Lab, fire up the machine, and step into the future once again…
You’re back in the future, only this time, it’s looking way better! Have some fun exploring it. Once you’ve made your way through the monorail rides and beamed yourself up through their vents as well as a small hovering platform, you’ll come across a glass tube. Enter it to find your Sky Home!
In here, as well as out there, you’ll find some fascinating and environmentally friendly technology. In the top right corner, you’ll find a familiar someone — it’s you, 50 years into the prosperous future!
Your future self will give you the quest reward: the Time Tangled Island Medallion and credits to spend in the store. Well done, you’ve saved the ages!
Looking for more walkthroughs? Check out our Island Help page! 🙂
Poptropica used to save album photos of iconic moments from your island adventures, but this feature does not exist anymore.
- Time Tangled Island is Poptropica’s 3rd island, released on April 15, 2008.
- The island was re-released with sound and a bigger screen on December 10, 2013.
- The island was again re-released for Haxe on September 2, 2020 for members only. It was made available to all players again on July 22, 2021.
- Before Time Tangled was released, it was referred to as Time Lapse Island, then later as Time Twisted Island.
- In April 2008, there was a Greco-Roman soldier on top of a building on Shark Tooth Island who said, “How did I get here? I should be on Time Twisted Island!” He reappeared in the same spot years later in February 2014.
- Quippy, wearing the Aztec warrior headdress, sells the following items in the Party Time Tower common room: Pharaoh (King of Egypt), the Queen of Egypt, a Templar Knight*, and Joan of Arc*. (* = members only)
- Time Tangled is the first island to feature sound, which you can hear when you play Edison’s phonograph. Click “Play” and you’ll hear real-life Edison from long ago singing “Mary Had a Little Lamb.”
- Every year, the “Lab” setting of the time device is updated to reflect the present year.
- The Possible Future (dystopian future) used to be filled with green smog, and but now it’s brownish-orange.
- Many of the locations used to have Fact Monster bubbles, which you could click to learn historically accurate information or other educational facts about the subject. Fact Monster is a Poptropica sponsor and has been spotted in Poptropica.
- In the island, you will encounter historical figures such as Lewis and Clark, Thomas Edison,Leonardo da Vinci, etc.
- Aristotle the Greek philosopher can be found in Ancient Greece (328 BC), and when you talk to him, he says, “Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees the others.”
- Leo’s workshop contains a work-in-progress of the painting Mona Lisa (by Leonardo da Vinci) with a Poptropican head.
- Professor Pendulum, the guy who created the malfunctioning time machine, can be seen vacationing in Shark Tooth Island‘s Tourist Center.
- The two men you encounter hiking up Mount Everest, Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay, are the first confirmed climbers to have reached the summit of Mount Everest.
- Poptropica Creators: Thirsty Whale, who has not posted on the PCB in years, from Mount Everest, and Vlad the Viking, the name of the Creators’ old YouTube channel.
- For a brief time in August 2008, there were sunglasses available on top of Professor Pendulum’s lab. You can now get these glasses from customizing the secretary in the Spy Island headquarters.
Note: For a more in-depth walkthrough, see our guide above on this page.
- Talk to the lady in front of Pendelum’s Lab, then go into the lab and talk to her again to get theMission Printout. Activate the time machine with the plug at the bottom and step into the bad future. Get the Time Device from your future self.
- Go to Mount Everest, 1953 and collect the Statuette of Liberty. Return it at Statue of Liberty, 1882. While you’re there, grab the Notebook on the ledge.
- Go to the Graff House, 1776 and grab the bag of Salt Rocks on the chimney. Go to the Mali Empire, 1387 and give the guy in the white turban and blue robes the Salt Rocks. Go inside the building and put together a puzzle to be awarded the Declaration of Independence. Return this back at the Graff House, 1776.
- Go to Edison’s Workshop, 1877 and take the Piece of Stone from the chimney. Go to the Aztec Empire, 1519 and return the Piece of Stone. Talk to the old lady carrying a mask and she’ll give you an Aztec Warrior Headdress. Put it on and talk to the guard wearing Edmund Hillary’s Goggles to get them. Go back to Mount Everest, 1953 and return the Goggles to Edmund, who’s wearing a blue coat.
- Go to Leonardo da Vinci, 1516 and return the Notebook to Leo. Put on the Glider he gives you and use that to help you reach the hanging Peace Medal.
- Go to the Lewis & Clark Expedition, 1805 and grab the Stone Bowl from the beaver’s head when he pops out. Go back down and talk to Captain Meriwether Lewis to return the Peace Medal.
- Go to the Great Wall of China, 1593 and grab the Gunpowder barrel. While you’re there, play a memory game with a Chinese guy and when you win, he’ll give you an Amulet. Also, return the Stone Bowl to one of the other guys on the wall.
- Go to the Vikings, 831 and return the Amulet to the first Viking. Blow up the blocked cave entrance with the Gunpowder and enter. You’ll have about 30 seconds to grab the Golden Vase at the bottom of the cave. (You can also use the Glider from Leo to reach a bonus Viking Suit in the Vikings time period.)
- Go to Ancient Greece, 328 BC and give the vase to the second soldier. Still in Greece, take Edison’s Phonograph from the roof of the Treasury building. Go back to Edison’s Workshop, 1877 and enter the workshop building to return the Phonograph to Edison.
- Once all time periods have been repaired, go back to the Lab, then enter the future again. Collect the island medallion from your future self, now happily living in a Sky Home! Congratulations!