Hey Poptropicans! This look familiar? 👀
If you’ve been here a while, you may recall when Poptropica ran a contest called #MyPoptropicaCostume back in 2016–17, inviting Poptropicans to design their dream costume and promising to create the winning designs in the game. And now, in 2020, it’s back!
Really, it’s pretty much the same concept, as you might’ve guessed by the use of the exact same picture. Here are the general guidelines, though you’ll want to refer to the Creators’ Blog post for full rules:
- Create with any method you like, whether it’s drawn digitally or made physically and then scanned or photographed.
- Add details about your costume, and give it a name.
- Create something that can be reproduced as a costume in-game, meaning avoid super-small details or too much color.
- Be original — don’t imitate copyrighted media.
- Up to three entries per person.
- Include your Poptropican’s name in your entry, and send it along to firstname.lastname@example.org with your first name as well. Optional: Include your social media handle to shoutout if you’re selected as a winner.
You have from now till January 21 (Tuesday) at midnight Eastern time to enter, giving you almost two weeks to dream and deliver.
And did we mention the prizes? One grand prize winner gets their design made as a costume in the Poptropica Store, plus an NPC on Home Island will be wearing it, and there’s a 6-month membership to be had! As for the runners up, of which there will be three: one month of membership and their designs featured on the official blog. For ten honorable mentions, just the latter.
They did make a few changes to the distribution of winners and prizes compared to last time, probably due to their track record of not exactly delivering on all their promises back in 2017.
First, it took nearly a whole year since the grand prize winners were selected for their designs to actually be created and implemented into the game, and they were only made for Poptropica Worlds—which at the time was still the primary version Poptropica, but is pretty inactive these days.
Then, the top ten runners up were supposed to have their costumes made into the game as well, but that never materialized. I for one would still like to see Lucky Joker’s “Diwali Inspired” or Perfect Sky’s “Jazz Musician” created on Poptropica, but you can at least find their designs here.
Anyway, it’s cool to see the Poptropica costume design contest return, and the promise of a stupendous fashion stunner coming soon to a game screen near us. What are you waiting for? That could very well be your design!