This is a guest post written by Zippy Paw, a Poptropica player in the community. In this post she’ll be exploring the question of how and whether Pop Original will last. Enjoy!
Hi! I’m Zippy Paw and I’m here to share my thoughts on this matter. As most readers probably know, Poptropica Original is probably going to fade away in 2020 with the retirement of Adobe Flash Player. Or will it?
How Poptropica Original can survive through a new platform
Poptropica is far from the only game built on Adobe Flash Player. There are many other games that run on this program too, and they need to find solutions to stick around.
Some games are creating a new program to support their digital multiverse, like making applications that can be downloaded to your computer, so that you don’t even have to go on any website at all. Poptropica has made Poptropica Worlds with a new technology called Unity. I tweeted @Poptropica and they said this:
It definitely is possible that they just might be talking about Poptropica Worlds, but what interests me is that they said “Poptropica.com” and not “Poptropica.com/Worlds.” They also said “a lot of great technology has come out.” Could this mean that Poptropica might run on another program instead of Flash or Unity?
How Poptropica Original can survive through Poptropica Worlds
Poptropica Worlds was definitely worth the wait. Lots of new features were introduced: hands, a new house, plus you can buy costume parts instead of buying the whole outfit!
Plus, a new version of 24 Carrot Island made it into Poptropica Worlds. Why mention this? Well, 24 Carrot Island is the first (and so far only) island from Poptropica Original to be in Poptropica Worlds. Back when SUIs (sound-updated islands) were being made, 24 Carrot Island was the first island to get a larger screen and have sound incorporated. This was huge for Poptropica, as it used to have no sound and a smaller screen.
Could other Poptropica islands from the Original be back in Worlds? After all, soon after Beta Carrotene (the SUI 24 Carrot), other islands followed in its footsteps: Time Tangled Island, Mythology Island, Shrink Ray Island—getting the bigger screen and sound. Will there be more? Who knows?
Why Poptropica Original should and should not stay
Poptropica Original has its pros and cons. First, let’s take a look at the pros of keeping Poptropica Original:
- Lots of hard work and effort were already put into the islands in the Original Poptropica. No reason to throw it all away.
- There’s much more content in Poptropica Original than Poptropica Worlds.
- Poptropica Original is still enjoyed by many players.
- It looks like there will be a future update added to Poptropica Original, so why still bother if the game will be gone in two years?
And the cons of keeping Poptropica Original:
- Managing two games could be tricky; if one is on its way down, then maybe it’s best to let it go.
- Poptropica Worlds has a lot of potential and should become the dominant game.
- 24 Carrot Island is in Poptropica Worlds. This could mean we might get more islands from Poptropica Original, so if we do get more, why keep Poptropica Original in the end if both games turn out to have the same amount of content?
That’s all for now! Have a nice day and stay poppin’!
Hope you enjoyed this guest post by Zippy Paw! Leave a comment with your thoughts.
The Poptropica Help Blog welcomes interesting Poptropica insights from anyone in the Poptropica community with thoughts to share. You can find some tips and guidelines on our page on how to Write for the PHB. We also encourage sharing blog posts on the PHC.
If you have an idea for a PHB post, send it in!