Hey Poptropic-athletes! As you may be aware, the Rio Olympics of 2016 are coming up, and that’s sure to be exciting – so exciting, in fact, that here at the PHB, we’re bringing the fun of competition to the Poptropica community! In case the Poppies wasn’t enough exhilaration, we’ve got a BIG Tribal Tournament planned, and we’re looking for athletes of all kinds to compete. Are you ready?!
Poptropica has their own version of teams known as tribes, which you will have encountered if you’ve ever played Poptropolis Games Island or visited your own friend profile. If you don’t belong to a tribe yet (gasp), check out the PHB’s guide to Tribes and find one that suits you!
We’ll be kicking off the event with an Opening Ceremony on Friday, August 5, 2pm Eastern time (that’s 1pm Central, 12pm Mountain, 11am Pacific, and for all other time zones, check a time converter). It’ll be your usual party on the PHC at discord.me/thePHC – a completely safe chatroom environment where PHB staff and other Poptropicans regularly hang out – with Multiverse, games, and more!
As the invite graphic suggests, it’s earlier in the day so you have a chance to kick off the actual, NOT-Poptropica Olympics on TV later on! (The real-world Olympic ceremony starts at 7pm EST the same day!) Feel free to pop in and out as your schedule permits – you’ll usually find Poptropicans online at this time! (Also, shout-out to Yujo for designing the pixel-style tribe flags!)
As you can see from the PHB header above, each of the PHB authors are representing one of the eight tribes of Poptropica. (Some of our profiles may say otherwise, since we had to make some compromises in order to each represent one of the eight.) Here they are –
- Black Flags – Brave Tomato
- Flying Squid – Slanted Fish
- Nanobots – Spotted Dragon
- Nightcrawlers – HPuterpop
- Pathfinders – Koi
- Seraphim – Ylimegirl
- Wildfire – Slippery Raptor
- Yellowjackets – Ultimate iPad Expert
And we’ve got a lot more planned for the tournament! However, to participate, it’s best if you can access the PHC (Poptropica Help Chat). (We would like to emphasize that it is a completely child-friendly environment, with moderators around to prevent trouble and block offensive content, and is used by many kids in the Poptropica community.)
Once you’ve picked a tribe, head over to the PHC, and create an account if you haven’t already (it only takes seconds). You’ll notice that we’ve set up channels (located to the left) that you can talk in – the #main channel is the main one. To the right, you’ll find a list of users online, including PHB staff and moderators. To join the Tribal Tournament, you should then alert one of the staff to add you into the tribe of your choice, either by asking on the #main channel or privately messaging a staff moderator.
You should soon be added into a role within the PHC that declares your chosen tribe. Choose wisely, because you can only be in one tribe! Once you’re added, you should see a new channel that has the name of your tribe. This is where you can communicate with others in your tribe and post things that can earn points for your tribe (more on that soon!).
For now, we’re announcing the first way you can earn points for your tribe… the MEDAL MARATHON!
To compete in the Medal Marathon, all you have to do is:
- Play Poptropolis Games Island, and right at the end, take a screenshot of the scoreboard (instructions here). Don’t worry if you forget, as long as you haven’t restarted the island – just click on the “Overall Rankings” scoreboard in the stadium area to see it. Please make sure the scoreboard is completed!
- Head over to the PHC and find your tribe’s channel (as explained above). Post your screenshot of the scoreboard into your tribe’s channel (you can drag and drop the image into Discord, or click the upload button (instructions here). OR You can upload the picture at this form – no PHC participation needed!
- That’s all! Your tribe representative (the PHB staffer assigned to your tribe) will calculate the points you’ve earned, along with the contributions of everyone else in the tribe.
- You can do this as many times as you like to earn further points for your tribe. This will go on throughout most of the month, with the final day for the Medal Marathon being August 24.
In case you’re wondering how points are calculated for this event, we’ll take the overall rank you earned and assign it a point value. If you are 1st place, as seen in the scoreboard above, you’ll get 8 points, 2nd will get 7, 3rd will get 6, 4th will get 5, 5th will get 4, 6th will get 3, 7th will get 2, and 8th place will earn 1 point. Each tribe rep will keep count of scores as the days go along, but we will not announce the points of every tribe until the end of the event!
Again, even if you can’t participate on the PHC, we hope you will at least earn points for your tribe by playing the Poptropolis Games Medal Marathon and uploading your scoreboard here.
We’ve got a few more things planned in this epic tribe showdown, but for now, go out and explore, collect, compete! May the best tribe win!
– the PHB tribe reps –