Somewhere in Poptropica, an unknown citizen harbors within his bloodstream a dangerous new virus. Your mission: locate Patient Zero, and eradicate the disease before it spreads. Prepare for a perilous journey to the most far-out place of all — inside the human body!
For walkthroughs on Virus Hunter Island, scroll down.
Resources on this page
- Island Extras
- Synopsis from Poptropica
- Video Walkthrough
- Written Walkthrough
- Album Photos
- Official Tour
- Prequel Comic
- Nano-Combat Training MiniQuest
- Desktop Wallpaper
- Printable Postcards
- Champions Map
For a written walkthrough with pictures, scroll down on this page!
Walkthrough written & pictures taken by Samwow5 (Tough Icicle)
Special thanks to: Strange Cat,Weirdo & Slanted Fish
When you land on Virus Hunter Island, go to the right of Main Street, past the video shop, and into the fitness center. Now, go to the left, past the pool, and click on the stretchy bands next to the weights. One will snap and give you a Resistance Band.
After you get thrown out, go to the bus stop. Climb up onto the nest and use your Resistance Band. Now, climb up and talk to the weird guy.
He says he thinks the government has set up shop where he’s at, and he wants you to go check out one of their vans. Leave the guy and go to the left, past the apartments, and over the brick wall. Talk to the guy in the “Pizza Delivery Company aka PDC” truck. He’ll run away, and you’ll get a bag of Shredded Documents.
Now, run right and go back to the person on the roof. Piece everything together and go to the video store. Here’s what all of them should look like:
When you finish putting the shreds together, use the PDC ID badge that the guy on the roof gave you.
Enter the video store, show your badge, and go into the Staff Only area. Go down the elevator and talk to the lady with the goggles, Dr. Lange. Um… what’s wrong with Dr. Lange’s assistant? Is she doing the Gangnam Style? Just kidding – she’s only typing.
Anyway, talk to Dr. Lange, who will tell you your badge is a phony, but she wants you to volunteer to help stop the virus. So you say yes, she shows you what the virus can do, and it’s REALLY creepy. She’ll type up a Dossier and also give you a Camera to record Joe Stockman (Patient Zero).
Leave the video store and go into that apartment building again. Rummage through the trash bin, and click on a couple of different letters addressed to “Joe Stockman”.
Head over to the falafel place to the far right, past Main Street. (Go right two streets until you see it at the very end.) The guy there says he’s gotten a huge order for Globochem.
Now go to the Globochem Chemical Lab on Main Street. Run behind him when the panels open and go to the top floor. Talk to Joe and use your camera.
Now go back to Dr. Lange. Follow her, and she will reduce your size so small you’ll be able to fit inside Joe’s body. All in the name of science!
A quick tutorial will show you how to navigate and use the various weapons on your ship, the Panacea. Click on your ship to change your weapon.
- Laser (red blade): used to cut through things/attack
- Electrobolt (lightbulb-like): press spacebar to split objects away and clear paths
- Coagulant (knob-like blob): spacebar to shoot green stuff that will block open areas where blood cells are flowing
- Gun (has two prongs): spacebar to shoot and attack
After the tutorial, you’ll be ready to enter Joe’s body! Watch as he gulfs down his Chinese food… taking you right along to his stomach.
Now maneuver over to the bottom right of his stomach and shoot at the open area with the coagulant. His ulcer will be cleaned.
Now click a muscle in thin air near it and go to his right arm where it’s infected. Go look for the viruses.
The viruses attack you and take almost all your weapons, except for your gun. We’re going to need to get those weapons back if we want to survive in here!
Go back into the bloodstream, click the stomach (below the heart), and go up the esophagus.
Since it’s too narrow here, you’ll have to get out of the ship and go on foot. Ride these bubbles up to the top and head right.
Keep walking right until you reach a gold tooth at the top. It has your shield on it!
Now, go back to your ship and enter the stomach again. Go all the way down to the bottom left corner and enter the intestines. (You may have to wait a while for the opening to unblock itself.)
Once you reach the intestines, you’ll see a lot of blockage. Go through the intestines, shooting the blockage away by pressing the space bar.
When you reach the end of it, go down… and you’ll come across this big virus! To defeat it, wait for its arms-with-yellow-blobs to come out, then shoot at it by pressing the spacebar. Do this a few times, and the main virus (green part) will be weakened. Shoot at it, and it’ll be gone.
Once you defeat this virus, you’ll get your laser scalpel back, which means you can cut through things!
Go right and cut through some fat/tissue, and you’ll be back in the bloodstream. Click on the heart and cut through some tissue when you get there. You will encounter another virus to fight! Make sure you’re using your laser scalpel, and rush to stab the virus when its “legs” are wide enough for you to go through. Be careful, you’ll lose health if you let the legs touch you. You can regain your health by hitting the blue or red cells.
Keep moving in and out and when you’ve stabbed it enough, it will run off. Follow it and cut through some more tissue, and keep stabbing it. After a certain amount of hits, the virus runs off again. Follow it again, cut through the tissue, and keep stabbing him. It’ll run off a final time – keep stabbing, and it’ll be gone. You’ll get your coagulant back!
Now, go back into the bloodstream and visit Joe’s right hand. Use your coagulant to seal up all the tissue hemorrhages.
After you do that, go back into the bloodstream. Go into the right arm and shoot at all the tissue cuts with the coagulant. When you finish all of them, go right at the end.
Some viruses will come after you, and you’ll need to fight them off and continue sealing up tissues with the coagulant. The viruses care about hurting the tissues more than hurting you, so shoot the tissues until they turn green, then shoot the sacs where the viruses come from (there’s two). You can use either the laser scalpel or gun to attack.
When you finish shooting the sacs, kill the remaining viruses that are trying to hurt you. Then shoot all the sacs again, and you will retrieve your electrobolt.
Once you get the Electrobolt, shoot the blue nerves while you’re leaving. It relieves Joe (Patient Zero) of his pain. Now go back into the bloodstream.
From there, go to the brain. When you get there, use your Electrobolt to get rid of the blue nerve. You’ll see this beastly virus that looks like it came out of a horror film.
Now here’s the tricky part. Your weapons don’t hurt the big virus. (However, you can defeat the little viruses it sends in your direction with your laser scalpel.)
Go left and use the Electrobolt (remember to press the space bar) with the blinking neuron. After it lets go, it will follow you. Connect it to the next one and so on until it reaches the virus and shocks it. Each time the big virus is shocked, it will move to a different area, and you’ll need to keep connecting the blinking neuron to the neuron the big virus is sitting on.)
Shock him 5 times and you’ll get the Gravity back. Now, use the Coagulant and shoot the tissues. After that, go back into the bloodstream, and into the mouth.
Once you’re inside the mouth, go down under the bottom teeth. You will reach the cavity. Keep poking it with your laser scalpel and the cavity will go away.
After you do that, go into the bloodstream again, and return to the heart. Use your electrobolt and press spacebar on the blue nerves to ease the muscles out of the way, and keep going until you reach the end. Enter the last area – the lungs.
When you get inside the lungs, another virus will be waiting. To defeat this one, keep hitting its arm while it’s on the alveolar sacs. The arms will eventually fall off, and the virus will be contained.
Joe will then sneeze you out, and you’ll get your island medallion from Dr. Lange! Congratulations – you’ve completed Virus Hunter Island!
Bonus Quest (members only)
Go to the Knave’s landing. A dog will run away from its owner. The owner will say that her dog, Belle, has been acting strange ever since she ate rubbish from the trash. She’ll ask you to help her dog, and you will get what she ate out of – it’s something with the PDC’s initials on it!
Go to the PDC lab and talk to Dr. Lange. She’ll tell you about why the dog has been acting in a frenzy. It seems as if she ate the PDC’s heartworms, which were thrown away! (Ugh,not again!)
So you get out and go to the falafel place.The guy will give you some leftovers. Feed them to Belle, and you’ll be in the dog’s body. Now, near her upper canine teeth, there’ll be some wounds. Cure them with your curing thingy. Go right. There will be two green long swiping things, probably a result of the heartworms. Speaking of the very devil, the heartworms are blocking a tunnel down right.
You will have to hit the thingies first with your gun to make them disappear, then the heartworms will go. But not all of them! Continue right through a tunnel to a stomach. Use the laser to go through the fat, and go through the ‘Pop Chow’ by shooting it with your gun. Soon you’ll reach a tunnel for the intestines. Go through it.
You will be in a maze of nerves. There will be nerves of different colors which will open paths with the door of their same color, but may close another one with the same color. Go through that and experiment with it. Kill all the green swinging things with your gun. After you reach a dead end, go back through it and exit. Then go and exit the stomach.
Then the heartworms will stop blocking the passage, and you can go into the lungs (yes, already). There will be smaller lungs with-YA!!!! GREEN SWINGING THINGS EVERYWHERE!! THEY MOVE THEMSELVES FROM ONE HOLE TO ANOTHER!!! YOU’VE GOTTA STOP ‘EM!
So you shall have to shoot at them from near their holes. They may escape from one hole to another, but then just switch holes! After you shoot all of them, a small tunnel will open up. Go through it for the final final battle, this time in the heart. When you enter, you’ll meet the center of the heartworm. Shoot at its four parts till it sprouts.
Shoot at the sprouts from a safe distance. Then the white cells will finish it off! The heartworm is contained! A blue tunnel will open up which will take you back to the mouth. Then, exit the mouth, and you’ll arrive back safely on Main Street. The girl will thank you, and Dr. Lange will reward you with the Ace Pilot costume. Congrats, you’re done!
Looking for more walkthroughs? Check out our Island Help page! 🙂
These pictures are collected in your Poptropica photo album in the profile section. Click to enlarge.
- Virus Hunter Island is Poptropica’s 35th island. It was released on August 30, 2013 for members with a demo for non-members, and everyone could get a free Hazmat Suit on Main Street. The login screen featured two viruses chasing the kids that usually run across the screen, then someone in the round body-travel vehicle shooting them away. It will be released to everyone onSeptember 26, 2013.
- The name of the island was discovered through a post on the blog of Poptropica artist Nasan Hardcastle, where he showed images of characters he designed for Poptropica, including the unreleased anatomy-themed “Virus Hunter” island. The island was confirmed by Creators on May 15, 2013.
- Common room: Town Hall
- This is the first island to be released with music and bigger navigation (excluding 24 Carrot BETA Carrotene, which was the first to be upgraded from its lesser version).
- There is a letter in the trash for a “Nasan SoftFort,” a pun on Nasan Hardcastle’s name.
- This is the first island to have a world champions player map which shows the rankings for finishing the island.
- There is a poster on the outside of the GreenSquare video store for Revenge of the Zombie Carrots, which is the sequel of the Zombie Carrot movie shown on Zomberry Island.
- Waist Not Fitness Center has a logo similar to The Biggest Loser.
- In the fitness center, you can open the lockers without locks. (One has a picture of a dog!)
- Bucky Lucas of Reality TV Island is frequently referenced throughout the island, including when you trick Joe into taking his picture.
- There are computers in Globochem on websites Funbrain, Fact Monster, and even what appears to be Poptropica. Also, there’s a screen on what looks like Facebook as well as a game of Solitaire.
- In GreenSquare, the cardboard cutout for a movie called ‘Stuck in Detention’ is a reference to the 1985 movie The Breakfast Club, and the boy shown parodies the character John Bender.
- GreenSquare is a parody of the DVD rental company Redbox.
- The plot of Virus Hunter Island may have been inspired by the 1987 science fiction movieInnerspace.
- My Boyfriend is a Martian is a reference to the TV series My Babysitter’s a Vampire.
- Bonus quest (available 9/26): Poptropicans are feeling fine, but man’s best friend isn’t so lucky. Now, a sick dog needs your help. Head back into the fray to take down a new threat: the vicious heartworm!
- During Early Access, there is a vending machine on Main Street where you can come back every week to collect a new free prize. When a new prize was released, the previous ones would be ‘Sold Out.’ The prizes so far were a Hazmat Suit and Scifi Doctor costume, available to everyone. The next prize (a helmet) will be for members only (available Sept 12). On Sept 19, a final mystery prize will be available to everyone.
- Members get an additional Virus Hunter Island gear pack, which includes Virtual Virus costume, Inside-Out power, and Sneezing Powder item. The Virtual Virus costume is ONLY available during Early Access!
- Members can also play a Nano-Combat Training Game to prepare for Virus Hunter, which is available in the Store. The PHB has a guide for this mini-game here.