EDIT: The old store is back — but only if you access it from ingame.
The map icon still takes you to the mobile app store.
Big news today, as a new island has been added to the Poptropica file database: Crisis Caverns! You may recognize it as the “underground island” that was canceled. It looks as if it’s being brought back! The name, now verified as Crisis Caverns, alludes to the bulk of the island being underground. From what we’ve seen in past Daily Pops, it involves alien-like creatures and a villainous Mole King!
All that’s uploaded of the island so far is the main street, which is a refreshing glimpse of new content that we haven’t had for so long! What new information can we glean from this sneak peek?
The setting of the island is confirmed to be the “Caldera State Park“, which after a quick Google search can be verified as not a real location, but a parody of Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming. We’ve seen Old Reliable, and most of the interiors of these buildings before; it seems that the island is nearly finished in the art department based on previous Daily Pops. We can also see some dashing buffalo scattered around the scene.
One more thing about CC: in the files, the island is named “cavern1” — and if you’ve kept up with BTS island names, you’ll recognize the “1” as the indicator of an episode. Whether they’re bringing back episodic adventures or not is a mystery, but I personally feel that full island releases are subjectively better.
Another major update is that the map has been updated to SUI, with the same set up as the mobile app! This update has come with a whole slew of new features:
- A progress bar for how far you are in an island. For the episodic adventures, the bar is split up into sections.
- A new info page before you enter the island.
- Difficulty rating – one, two, or three skulls.
- Description from the Tour pages.
- Restart button.
- Island completion counter.
- Progress bar (again).
- Island logo.
- Screenshot from the island.
- The island order is now scattered, with no obvious order. This is most likely because islands from previous years usually are easier than newer islands.
- You can access your account settings/game settings directly from the map.
- The store button now leads to the mobile app store — which currently does not work! You can’t buy anything.
- All island icons are now in color! Do note: not all islands are SUIs, it’s just the icons alone.
The store, as before mentioned, is the same store as the mobile app — but for some reason, you cannot purchase any of the items there. You also cannot access the original store – will original store items become relics?
The homepage that greets you upon login as been completely disabled and Home Island now acts as a home page. While I do not necessarily support the SUI engine, I do like these updates in theory. We’ll have to see where it leads. Tell me in the comments what you think of Crisis Caverns, the new map, and all these neat colored island icons!